Turmeric is a root of the flowering plant, Curcuma longa of the ginger family. The roots of that plant are used in cooking the food as a spice. Curcumin is an active element in turmeric which has a lot of health benefits. Turmeric is used in the Indian kitchen from ancient times. It has a quality to resolve for a variety of health ailments. It has a list of incredible healing properties including anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-carcinogenic. That is more than a sufficient number of benefits to make a person healthy. That’s is the reason people are using turmeric as a spice from thousands of years in their kitchen and also use it as a home remedy for first aid in so many problems like injury, swelling, cold and infection, etc. Turmeric usage has been embedded within the ancient Ayurvedic traditional herb practice and it additionally has been promoted to the holistic health of the individuals.
Turmeric is also used as a cooking, coloring, and flavoring agent in many dishes. It is also used in Ayurvedic herbal traditional medicine in India and around the Globe. Turmeric powder is warm and bitter. It is also used as Ayurvedic medicine. Curcumin is an active element in turmeric which is used as a medicinal purpose in many types of ailments.
Health Benefits of Turmeric (Curcumin):
- Natural Potent Anti-Oxidant: Curcumin in turmeric has an antioxidant property and it is a robust scavenger of free radicals of oxygen. These free radicals are active molecules that can be a reason to damage the body cells. Free radical and inflammation process is the key driver of cardiovascular and degenerative diseases. To prevent and cure these types of ailments, curcumin may be the right and healthy choice of the person.
- Natural Anti-Inflammatory: Inflammation is a required process in the human body. It fights off invaders and repairs damaged cells by bacteria, viruses, and injuries. Therefore in a long duration, inflammation can be the reason for chronic diseases such as cardiovascular diseases and cancer. It must be controlled. The turmeric has an active compound curcumin that works as an anti-inflammatory agent. It blocks the action of inflammatory molecules in the human body and provides health benefits to those people who are suffering from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and other inflammatory ailments.
- Boost Immunity: Due to the anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties of turmeric or Curcumin, it helps to improve the body’s immune system. Take 3 grams of turmeric powder and mix in lukewarm water or in warm milk used it regularly then its results are marvelous. It prevents from viral, flue, viruses, etc.
- Provides relief in Arthritis pain: Turmeric contains a natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant property. Both are effective to reduce swelling and stop the oxidative damage. So, anybody is suffering due to cartilage damage and swelling in joints that time turmeric is very effective to prevent and cure the pain up to some extend initially. It works in both types of arthritis i.e. Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis. Other then arthritis, A lot of people are being used a thin layer of turmeric upon injury to stop the pain and to reduce swelling as a home remedy.
- Help in Weight Loss and Increase body Metabolic Rate: Turmeric is used with lukewarm water in an empty stomach. It’s very effective to reduce weight and improve digestion power.
- Good Healing Property: Due to antiseptic and antibacterial properties, it is a potent remedy to treat any cut, infection, and injury in every family almost. It disinfectants the wounds and protects from viral infection.
- Anti Cancer: According to research, Curcumin in turmeric has an influence on cancer cells; it can also stop the growth, development, and formation of cancer cells at the initial level. It also helps to reduce the spread of cancerous cells and prevent carcinogenic products.
- Anti Diabetes: Due to the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of Curcumin, it has been found that it improves the performance of the pancreas and liver. Both organs play a very important role to manage type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes patients.
- Anti Septic Property: Turmeric has an antiseptic property that’s why people use it as first aid on any type of cut.
- Boost Brain Function and reduced risk of brain diseases: An active compound Curcumin is found in Turmeric which boosts brain-derived Neurotrophic factors that repair in the stem cells of the brain. It is also linked to improve brain functions and reduce the risk of brain diseases. The same stem cells help in the recovery from neurodegenerative ailments such as Alzheimer’s and depression. If the Turmeric is being used with black pepper then the result will be very good because Curcumin is absorbed 2000% more in the bloodstream.
- Good for Liver functionality and detoxification: Turmeric is effective to produce more enzymes that detoxify our blood in the liver and reduce the toxins. It also improves blood circulation and liver functionality. It protects the liver from the oxidative damages.
- Improve Digestive System: Turmeric is used as a spice then it can help to the secretion of more bile from the liver and it is stimulated in the gallbladder which helps to improve the digestion process and reduce the symptoms of gas and bloating.
- Anti Aging and fight age-related chronic diseases: Curcumin is an active compound in turmeric which has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic properties and helps to prevent many life-threatening chronic diseases. So, it plays a major role in healthy and long life.
- Good for Heart health: A main benefit of turmeric when it comes to heart disease is improving the function of the endothelium that is the lining of your blood vessels. It is famous that endothelial dysfunction is a major driver of heart ailments and involves an inability of your endothelium to regulate blood pressure, blood clotting, and various other factors.
How to use Turmeric:
In India, people have discovered a lot of usages in their preparation of dishes. Now a day, people are aware about turmeric or curcumin health benefits. So, they are using in curries, warm milk, lukewarm water, stir-fried dishes, etc. According to Ayurveda, it is more beneficial while using raw turmeric with black pepper, while a lot of health supplements are also available in the market for a health point of view.
Turmeric is warm in nature, that’s why should not use more than 3grams. High dose, not more than 3grams, should be used as a medicinal purpose. Due to a high dose of turmeric, some people may face problems like stomach upset, nausea, dizziness, and diarrhea.
Turmeric has a lot of benefits and it can be used by anybody at any age that is child, adult, and elderly. Those people use turmeric daily, their immune system is robust, and live a healthy long time.